Been shopping? There's something big happening Sunday. Remember?
Yes, Mother's Day is Sunday, but in case you've put off heading to the mall there are lots of things you can do to show her you care. Other things are going on as well. You can try some chocolate, enjoy a taste of Louisiana and marvel at elegant private gardens in Encinitas and beyond from May 5 to 11.
CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: , 1 Maverick Way, Carlsbad, 6 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: If sightseeing through Rome, Venice and Milan is out of the question, take a foodie tour instead – better yet, learn to take the tour at home. Chef Jen Felmley leads the way in this four-week class.
- Price: $81, with $60 materials fee.
- Where/when: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr, Encinitas, Friday.
- Why go: To celebrate National Public Gardens Day, coupons for free entry to local gardens are being distributed online. Valid on Friday only.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr, Encinitas, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Enjoy the delicacies at the garden's Chocolate Festival, featuring music, children's activities and oh so many gooey delights.
- Price: $6-$12.
- Where/when: MiraCosta College San Elijo campus, 3333 Manchester Ave., Cardiff, 6 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Riders join in the Tour de Cure, to benefit the American Diabetes Association. Participants who deal with diabetes wear a red jersey, like the celebrated yellow jersey of Tour de France fame.
- Price: Must raise a minimum of $150.
- Where/when: , 695 Normandy Rd, Encinitas (to purchase tickets); tour begins 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Peek inside unique gardens in Carlsbad, Cardiff, Leucadia and Rancho Santa Fe on the Through Garden Gates Tour.
- Price: $25-$30.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
THE WOMEN BEHIND TWO HBO HITS
- Where/when: Warwick's, 7812 Girard Ave, La Jolla, 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Mysterious Galaxy, 7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego, 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Why go: , creator of Carrie Bradshaw and the Sex and the City books, appears at Warwick's, while , whose series about the trevails of Sookie Stackhouse spawned True Blood, comes to Mysterious Galaxy.
- Price: Free, but must purchase book for signing.
- Where/when: Spanish Landing Park, Harbor Island Dr & N Harbor Dr, San Diego, Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: Have a taste for zydeco and crawfish? Come on down for Gator By the Bay, a music fest that will feature more than 80 performances on six stages.
- Price: $25-$75.
- Where/when: , 2910 la Jolla Village Dr, La Jolla, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Gioia de Cari created her one-woman show out of frustration at former Harvard president Lawrence Summer's comments about women in the sciences. Her anger paid off: She's played to packed audiences throughout the country.
- Price: $5-$20.