Are you thrilled to be cruising to the end of a short week or in three-day weekend letdown mode? Glass half empty or half full?
Either way, the goings on from June 2 to June 8 should lighten your mood or keep your already-raised spirits nicely elevated. Take the kids to a fest where they can enjoy the wind and the sand or watch as other children master their instruments.
To complete our guide to what to do in Carlsbad and beyond, look for a prominent author to visit La Jolla and three comedians to step up and help out a friend.
CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: , 5790 Armada Dr, Carlsbad, and six other North County museums, all of June.
- Why go: Embrace North County Arts & Culture in June and receive half off the entry fee for each of seven museums in Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside and Escondido. Vouchers are good for four people.
- Price: Varies.
- Where/when: , Tamarack Ave & Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: The fourth annual Carlsbad Beach Feat includes a run/walk, sand sculpting by a U.S. Open Champion team, live entertainment, competitions in paddle boarding, surfing, beach volleyball and soccer, food vendors and an orchestrated underwater and beach clean-up.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: , 1 Legoland Dr, Carlsbad, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: The aquarium hosts a Dr. Seuss-themed party: An exploration diver reads the classic One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and Wish for a Fish underwater and kids can decorate a Seuss-style name tag and help design an origami fortune teller game with conservation tips.
- Price: $13-$20.
- Where/when: , 3557 Lancer Way, Carlsbad, 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Support young musicians at the Civic Youth Orchestra Music Celebration Concert. Performers include the primary orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber strings and intermediate orchestra.
- Price: $5-$10.
- Where/when: , 2822 State St, Carlsbad, 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Three comedians, Mike Pace, Shayla Revera and Vicki Barbolak, with multiple television appearances between them, come together and perform to help Dennis “Chooch” Mata, who suffers from pancreatitis and needs help with his medical bills. Evening includes music and a raffle.
- Price: $20-$25.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: North Coast Repertory, 987 Lomas Santa Fe Dr, Solana Beach, Thursday and Friday, previews; Saturday, opening.
- Why go: Based on the acclaimed novel by Chaim Potok, My Name is Asher Lev tells the story of a young Hasidic artist torn between his observant Jewish community and his need to create. Continues through June 26.
- Price: $36-$41, with discounts during previews.
- Where/when: Balboa Park, Sixth Avenue and Laurel Street, San Diego, 6 a.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Come out and cheer on the thousands of runners (probably more than a couple of them from your neck of the woods) who have trained and agonized over taking part in the Rock 'n Roll San Diego Marathon. The race starts in Balboa Park and ends at Mission Bay.
- Price: Free for spectators; registration is closed.
- Where/when: , 7812 Girard Ave, La Jolla, 7:30 p.m. Monday.
- Why go: Sebastian Junger, author of the best-selling The Perfect Storm, returns with War, about the time he spent with a U.S. platoon in Afghanistan. He revisits the subject after helping direct the 2010 documentary Restrepo. He made the film with journalist Tim Hetherington, who was killed in Libya in April.
- Price: Free.