Can you believe it’s October already? We’re entering holiday season quickly, which means plenty of fun activities in and around town. Break out your mugs and Tyrolean hats and get ready for Oktoberfest this weekend around the county. Also take note of free and admission for kids during October. The kids can see for free!
This weekend, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, get out and visit numerous sites in Carlsbad for some fall fun. There’s a fundraiser for our lagoon, a Halloween party at Legoland and a unique puppet exhibit at the Cannon Art Gallery. The closest Oktoberfest is right in our backyard at Holiday Park, so drink and eat up!
Get out of town for some literature lovin’ and orchid observation in Encinitas, or travel to La Jolla for an art and wine festival. If you like to get spooked, visit the Del Mar Fairgrounds for the first weekend of the Scream Zone.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: Private Oceanfront Home, Carlsbad, 5:30-9 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Help raise money for the Agua Hedionda Lagoon Foundation by attending this fundraiser that features dinner by West Steak and Seafood, music by Skape Goat and surprise entertainment.
- Price: $75-$105.
- When/where: Holiday Park, intersection of Chestnut Avenue and Pio Pico Drive, noon-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Celebrate German food and beer at the Rotary’s Oktoberfest in Holiday Park. There will be beer and wine tastings, food, music, a grape stomp, pumpkin patch and more.
- Price: Free admission; $10 for German dinner.
- When/where: , 1 Legoland Dr., Carlsbad, 5-9 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Visit Legoland for some Halloween fun. Partake in a costume contest, travel on a trick-or-treat trail, listen to music and interact with the “Boo Crew.”
- Price: $25-$55 with these coupons.
- When/where: , 1775 Dove Ln., Carlsbad, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 1-5 p.m. Sunday
- Why go: Go see more than 200 of Alan Cook’s puppets on display, including German hand-puppets, Sicilian marionettes, Indonesian shadow puppets, African rod puppets, Japanese bunraku and more.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: See orchids galore at this 17th Annual International Orchid Fair. See orchid exhibits, buy plants on display, learn how to care for your own orchids and more.
- Price: Free with garden admission ($6-$12.)
- When/where:, 540 Cornish Dr., Encinitas, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Explore literature, writing and entertainment at this third annual county library book festival. Guests will also have a chance to meet Skinny Bitch co-author Kim Barnouin and have her sign a book.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 1111 Marine St., La Jolla, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: It’s the third annual La Jolla Art and Wine Festival, complete with beer and wine gardens, food, live entertainments, prizes and more.
- Price: $5-$10, free for military and kids 2 and under.
- When/where: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd. Del Mar, 7 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday; 7-11 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Take a haunted hayride, travel through the house of horrors, drink deadly drinks and eat evil edibles at the Scream Zone.
- Price: $15-$28.