We’ve reached the end of summer and it’s time to celebrate the first weekend of fall. Friday marks the first day of autumn and the weekend forecast promises cool weather with some clouds to boot. Enjoy the new season with some fun events and activities for you and the family. We’ve got the best bets, near and far, listed below.
This weekend, Sept. 23-25, get out in Carlsbad and tap your toes to some tunes, take a walk around the village for some art viewing and making, walk or run for hope or take a hike and learn something new. Teenage girls can get a positive outlook on life, careers and themselves at a girls expo on Saturday.
Looking for some travel time? Oceanside is having a weekend event in the harbor with sail boats and crafts, Solana Beach boasts plenty of bands, San Marcos has a culinary clash with a battle of the chefs and Point Loma is hosting the San Diego County beer fair.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 2822 State St., Carlsbad, various hours Friday-Sunday.
- Why go: It’s an all weekend music festival, with Village Train Station kicking off the weekend. Listen to a series of performances by local musicians and eat up at the Taste of the Village during the event.
- Price: $5-$60.
- When/where: , 5480 Grand Pacific Dr., Carlsbad, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Young girls, ages 11-18, will be empowered at this one-day workshop where they’ll explore college and career choices, ways to have a healthy body image and more. Various vendors, including clothing, jewelry and art, will be present.
- Price: $15-$18.
- When/where: Above the flower fields at Armada Drive, Carlsbad, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: It’s a family weekend of fun and art at ArtSplash 2011. You’ll see chalk art come to life, make crafts from recyclables, browse art displays, listen to live music and more.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: 5770 Armada Dr., Carlsbad, registration at 7:15 a.m., walk begins at 8 a.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Walk or run three miles with friends and family and help raise money for breast cancer research. Stick around after the good cause for some art at ArtSplash.
- Price: $15.
- When/where: 825 Carlsbad Village Dr., Carlsbad, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Royal Rangers Outpost 379 are hosting a car show, so come check out cars that were made before 1973, see new models, eat food, and cross your fingers in a raffle. There will be activities for kids and you can get your picture taken with NASCAR’s Carl Edwards.
- Price: Free to attend.
- When/where: Lake Calavera Preserve, 3825 Tamarack Ave., Carlsbad, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Take a five-mile hike across the preserve while you learn about habitat protection and future plans for the park.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Oceanside Harbor, Oceanside, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: Spend the weekend with your family on the water at Oceanside’s Harbor Days. Participate in fun activities like crafts and the Nail ‘n’ Sail Competition.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Standard of Excellence Room, 694 Rancheros Dr., San Marcos, 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Carlsbad chef Eugenio Martignago faces off against La Jolla chef Vincenzo Mauri. Watch the two chefs make dishes, then try them out and decide who deserves the win. A blind wine tasting will take place, too.
- Price: $50.
- When/where: Belly Up Tavern, 143 S. Cedros Ave., Solana Beach, 5 p.m. Friday, 9 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: Choose from four shows this weekend at the Belly Up, including performances by Atomic Groove, The Mother Hips, The Tilt, a Beatles tribute band and some beat boxing. You’ll get an in to the best up and coming music and bands.
- Price: $5-$20, depending on the show, time and if you buy tickets in advance.
- When/where: 2750 Womble Rd., San Diego, noon-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the San Diego County Beer Fair, where you can sample 12 beers, taste samples of food, meet brewers and more.
- Price: $35-$50.