Beautiful dolls, ugly dogs and a talented local band that's celebrating almost 30 years of entertaining.
These are some of the choice options if you're looking for fun things to do and see with your family near Carlsbad and in San Diego from March 9-15. You also can attend a fair to encourage a greener way of life and plan for an audition for the little ham in your house.
Click the links for all the details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: Carlsbad Community Church, Carlsbad, 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: The Coastal Communities Concert Band marks its anniversary. Band members come from throughout the county.
- Price: $12-15
- Where/when: Carlsbad Performing Arts Academy, Carlsbad, 6 p.m. Monday and Tuesday.
- Why Go: To give your youngster a shot to perform in “Annie,” the venerable musical that brought us “Tomorrow” and “It's the Hard-Knock Life.” .
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Oceanside Pier, Oceanside, 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: To enjoy the Green Fair, which marks the culmination of the city's Green Week activities. Includes children's games, booths, give-aways and live music.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: Qualcomm Hall, Sorrento Valley, 2 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.
- Why Go: Little girls love their “American Girl” dolls and here a lucky few will be able to dress in period costume just like their favorites. Or at least watch the runway action as the “American Girl” Fashion Show, to benefit UCSD's neonatal unit, takes place.
- Price: $35-$100.
- Where/when: Del Mar Fairgrounds, Del Mar, 10 a.m., Sunday.
- Why Go: You love your pooch, we trust that you do, but you know he's just not a looker. What he lacks in beauty he may gain in infamy by winning the Del Mar Kiwanis Ugly Dog Contest. OK, if you own an attractive dog, there will be prizes for that too.
- Price: $2-8.