As we creep closer to fall, the weekends become more packed with fun activities for you and the family. We’ve got a lot of options this weekend for events close to home, so save gas and stay nearby. We also listed some fun events happening a car trip away, if you’re up for some close-quartered family time. And don’t forget that San Diego Restaurant Week begins on Sunday—and this year they’re including lunch in the deal.
This weekend, Sept. 16-18, Carlsbad and Oceanside are hosting activities like a Grammy Award-winning musician’s concert, an Irish celebration, a movie at a park and two golf events for kids. This Saturday is Coastal Cleanup Day all over San Diego County. Pick a coastal beach and start cleaning!
Head down south for the Taste of MainStreet in Encinitas, which was postponed from last week because of our massive power outage, or visit the aquarium in La Jolla for some snapshots of the sea. There’s a huge music and boat fair at Mission Bay the whole weekend.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: Oceanside Civic Center Library, 330 N. Coast Hwy., Oceanside, 7:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Sit in and listen to Grammy Award-winning Irish musician Moya Brennan. Make sure to RSVP to ensure a seat!
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , intersection of Tamarack Avenue and Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday.
- Why go: Help hundreds of others in our community clean up our coastal lines and make Carlsbad beaches clean and beautiful during this countywide coastal cleanup
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 640 Grand Ave., Carlsbad, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Celebrate the midpoint to the Irish drinking holiday known as St. Patrick’s Day. O’Sullivans will be holding their happy hour specials, including half-off Irish dishes, all day long. Wear your green to win a prize.
- Price: Free to attend.
- When/where: , 3420 Camino de Los Coches, Carlsbad, 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Take the family to the park for a Spielberg classic. Watch E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, play some games and munch on food. The activities start at 6 p.m., the movie begins at 8 p.m.
- Price: Free; $5 wristbands for Fun Zone.
- When/where: , 2702 La Costa Ave., Carlsbad, 6-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: The Ocean Discovery Institute is having a fundraiser for the environment, complete with food, prizes and a live auction.
- Price: $250.
- When/where: , 1775 Dove Ln., Carlsbad, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: It’s time again for the Mini Golf “FORE” tournament. The library will be transformed into a 9-hole mini golf course, so bring the family for some putting and fun.
- Price: $5-$10.
- When/where: Emerald Isle GC 660 Carlsbad Village Dr., Carlsbad, noon-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Boys and girls, ages 5-17, can come golf in the North County Jr. Golf Association’s golf tournament. All skill levels are welcome!
- Price: $35-$50.
- When/where: Magee Park, 258 Beech Ave., Carlsbad, 2-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Past and present members of the Carlsbad Community and Youth Theatres can reunite. Bring your lawn chairs, snacks and cold drinks and win prizes, like old theatre memorabilia.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: 818 S. Coast Hwy., Encinitas, 6-9 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: Get a taste of local food with this Taste of MainStreet event (that had to be postponed because of last week’s major blackout.) One ticket will get you 33 tastes from restaurants in Encinitas. Foodies cannot pass this one up.
- Price: $25.
- When/where: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays.
- Why go: Listen to an audio play while walking through a mapped out region of the botanic gardens during this interactive play called Susurrus, put on by the La Jolla Playhouse.
- Price: $20.
- When/where: , 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Why go: It’s SEA Days at Birch! Test out camera equipment at the aquarium, learn underwater photography tips and check out photos of science. You can also meet Scripps researchers.
- Price: Free with aquarium admission ($8-$12).
- When/where: Mission Bay, 1775 E. Mission Bay Dr., San Diego, various hours Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: See more than 25 bands perform over the weekend and watch big boats race in the water. There will be activities for kids, food booths and beer gardens.
- Price: Free for military with ID; $10-$30 for various level tickets. A three-day VIP pass, which includes parking, is $250.