The San Diego Science Festival wraps up this weekend, but if your child is more curious about nature and the outdoors, he or she has options too.
Your choices for family-friendly activities near Carlsbad and in San Diego, from March 23-29, include the big finish to the science festival, at Petco Park, a film about a young woman who perseveres and the circus.
Other events include a benefit for returning soldiers and a chance to romp outside at the Agua Hedionda Lagoon and the Carlsbad Flower Fields.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: Carlsbad Flower Fields, 5704 Paseo del Norte, Carlsbad, 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: To let your kids indulge in puppet and magic shows and enjoy carnival-type games and characters, like, for instance, Ronald McDonald himself.
- Price: $5-$10.
- Where/when: Agua Hedionda Lagoon Discovery Center, 1580 Cannon Rd., Carlsbad, 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: The World Water Day Festival is designed to explain local and global water issues, but in a fun and educational way. Includes live animals, presentations, exhibits and food.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: La Paloma Theater, 471 S. Coast Hwy, Encinitas, 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: To see Soul Surfer before everyone else. The film tells the story of Bethany Hamilton, who was 13 when she survived a shark attack that cost her her left arm, yet she kept on surfing. The film stars AnnaSophia Robb, Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid.
- Price: $10.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, Thursday through Monday.
- Why Go: There's nine more shows in Circus Vargas' winter and spring run through San Diego County, and trapeze artists, elephants and, of course, clowns to be seen. Why not?
- Price: $15-$50.
- Where/when: Oceanside Transit Center, 195 S. Tremont Street, Oceanside, 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: To be part of Soldier Ride, a cycling race for wounded soldiers to participate in, while raising funds for the Wounded Warrior Project. The public may join in, and a picnic follows the race.
- Price: $50, with a commitment to raise $125 by the end of April.
- Where/when: Petco Park, 100 Park Blvd., San Diego, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why Go: The San Diego Science Festival concludes in grand style with Expo Day at the ballpark, featuring music and hands-on experiments. Other events on the final day include the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair at Balboa Park and a Coastkeeper beach clean-up in Coronado.
- Price: Free at Petco, varies at other sites.