Mystery - American, contemporary, pet detectives
You live deep in the heart of Manhattan's Greenwich Village, in an anachronistic cottage with a little garden, buffered by surrounding brownstones from the incessant din and urban chaos that is New York City. You know every street in The City -- from the swankiest down to the seediest. You're savvy; you can take care of yourself. Day or night, you walk those gritty streets unafraid, guarded by your steadfast and stalwart dog.
Read this if you’re into…
Pampering your pets. They share your bed (squeezing in between you and your significant other), eat better food than you do (like grass-fed steak and organic fruits and veggies), play with the best chew toys (when was the last time you gave yourself a treat?), and get all the they want (when was the last time you worked out?). In short, your pets are your first priority.
Sophie Gordon is devoted to her dog Blanche, and with good reason: for nearly a decade, Blanche has been her seizure alert dog and an essential, critical part of her daily life. But at 11 years old, Blanche is slowing down. Although she continues to alert Sophie when an epileptic attack is imminent, Sophie is desperate to find another Blanche. So when someone approaches her about cloning Blanche, Sophie asks no questions and jumps at the chance. The organization seeks no compensation, just the opportunity to create three clones of Blanche, one for Sophie and two for others with similar needs. A year and a half pass without further contact before Sophie receives word about a successful clone. Enter Bianca, Blanche's perfect DNA match. The only problem is that Bianca isn't alerting. Unable to track down the organization to report the issue, Sophie hires Rachel Alexander, private detective, and her canine sidekick Dash. A day later, Sophie is dead, evidently from an epileptic seizure -- or is it murder? Rachel and Dash sniff out the truth.
Pace: Reading this is like walking in a pair of…
Clarks mary janes, so you can keep up with your dog, dodging around the throngs of people in Manhattan, while trying not to look like a secretary schlepping to work or like an open-mouthed tourist ogling the window displays at Barneys.
Cast of characters
- Rachel Alexander - A savvy, no-nonsense, cuts-to-the-chase kinda gal; a private detective and former dog trainer. Gives excellent tips on dog care and training.
- Dash - A pitbull terrier and Rachel's partner in private detection. Dash finds clues overlooked by his human counterpart and frequently saves Rachel's neck. His favorite trick? He's a whiz at opening doors.
Books in the series
- This Dog for Hire
- The Dog Who Knew Too Much
- Hell of a Dog
- Lady Vanishes
- The Wrong Dog
- The Long Good Boy
- Fall Guy
- Without a Word
- The Hard Way
You might also like
- Laurien Berrenson - A Pedigree to Die For kicks off a series featuring single mom and teacher Melanie Travis and an ever-present pack of canine companions.
- Carol Nelson Douglas - Meet Temple Barr and Midnight Louie, a 20-pound black tomcat with an attitude, in Catnap.
- Lee Charles Kelley - Meet dog trainer and retired NYPD homocide cop Jack Field in Like a Dog With a Bone.