Couple Saved from Burning Home After Alert Neighbor Notices Smoke

A Christmas Eve tragedy was narrowly avoided in the Sweetwater Lodge mobile home park.

A couple in Spring Valley was saved from a burning home in the Sweetwater Lodge mobile home park Monday afternoon after an alert neighbor noticed smoke pouring out of a window and called 911, fire officials said.

The couple was either asleep or passed out on a bed around 12:18 p.m. when firefighters burst into the home, which was engulfed in hot smoke from a fire on the kitchen stove, according to the San Miguel Fire District.

The neighbor—was working on her computer when she looked out of a window and saw the smoke coming from the home—sought help from another neighbor and they attempted to enter the home but were stopped by an overwhelming wave of scalding smoke, according to fire officials.

The neighbors called 911 and firefighters arrived within minutes to find the home full of toxic smoke. Firefighters pulled the couple—who are in their late 40s and were initially combative—to safety, and a cat was also rescued in good condition. The couple was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Officials estimated that the couple was only minutes away from perishing due to carbon monoxide poisoning. In another five minutes the entire home would have been consumed by flames, officials said.

Firefighters quickly put out the fire, which may have been caused by a pan left unattended over an open flame, officials said.  

The damage was estimated at $8,000.

Fay December 25, 2012 at 02:46 PM
Komfort December 25, 2012 at 05:30 PM
AWESOME JOB! ALERT NEIGHBOR Thanks for doing your job, firefighters...
Lamesn619 December 25, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Suicide by fire?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »