A man accused of stabbing his ex-girlfriend to death after
he found out she had a new boyfriend and might be moving to the Philippines
pleaded not guilty today to a murder charge.
John Carlo Monta, 29, is charged in the death last November of 24-year-
old Joanne Javier.
The defendant was ordered to stand trial after a preliminary hearing
last month. Wednesday, Monta's retained attorney was relieved and the Public
Defender's Office was appointed to handle the case.
A readiness conference was set for Oct. 21 in Vista.
Javier's body was discovered about 4:25 p.m. last Nov. 9 in an SUV in a
Carlsbad parking lot, near the dental office where she worked. She was
pronounced dead at the scene of a chest wound.
Monta was arrested about six hours later at his apartment in Linda
Vista. Investigators said the victim's blood was found in the defendant's car.
Deputy District Attorney Claudia Grasso said Monta and Javier had broken
up, and he found out she had a new boyfriend.
Monta also knew Javier was
planning to go to the Philippines with her 3-year-old son and might not come
back, according to the prosecutor.
Monta is battling cancer and underwent a bone marrow transfusion last
year, Grasso said. He faces 26 years to life in prison if convicted.