Suspect in Standoff Found Dead of Self-Inflicted Gunshot

The 22-year-old suspect was found dead of a self- inflicted gunshot wound early Thursday.

Also read: 2 Deputies Wounded in Shooting

A 22-year-old man accused of shooting two deputies and holding up in his mother's Encinitas home—prompting a 10-hour SWAT standoff that displaced about 25 residents—was found dead of a self- inflicted gunshot wound early Thursday, authorities said.

The incident in the 700 block of Del Rio Avenue near Leucadia Boulevard began around 1 p.m. Wednesday with a woman reporting that her adult son was upset that she had recently obtained a restraining order against him and had taken off in her car, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

He returned to the home shortly after 3:30 p.m. and deputies tried to talk to him inside the residence, department spokeswoman Melissa Aquino said in a statement.

Several patrol deputies entered the home with the mother's consent and established verbal contact with the man, sheriff's Capt. Duncan Fraser told reporters at the scene.

"After several minutes of negotiation with him, which was unsuccessful, and because of some statements he was making they deployed less lethal tear gas," Fraser said. "Unfortunately, the male returned fire, striking two deputies."

The wounded deputies were then evacuated and sent to hospitals, he said.

One of the deputies was wounded in the forehead and the other, in the leg, according to Aquino. Both were expected to survive.

After shots were fired, the suspect stayed inside. Crisis negotiators and SWAT teams from around the county flocked to the scene, and for several hours, negotiators were in contact with the suspect, authorities said.

Around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, robots were sent into the home to check on the suspect and about 10 minutes after that, SWAT officers entered and found the man dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Aquino said.

During the standoff, the Red Cross turned the Encinitas Community Center into a shelter for about 25 area-residents displaced by the police activity. Those residents were expected to be allowed back in their homes during the night, Aquino said.

The deputy who was shot in the forehead was treated and released from the hospital, according to Aquino. She said the other was admitted into Scripps La Jolla Hospital in stable condition. Their names were not immediately released.

Frank H. Robles February 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM
The police did well in locking down and securing the area. With no way of knowing who his friends are, and trying to keep bystanders away, a large force was brought in. As the sun was setting, you would see many police leaving and some staying. I live just one block over, had a chance to talk to some on the scene. They went about their duties in a very respectfull way. Had no problem sleeping at home, with this going on such a few homes away. Like to take the time to Thank the S.D. Sheriff Dept.. " Well Done"...!!!
Sarah Riccitelli February 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Wishing well to everyone involved & I hope that the young man rests in peace & his mom finds peace as well.
Al Ein February 22, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Really? They had a 20 year old drug addict pinned down in one home. Totally surrounded. His beef was he was pissed at his mom for the restraining order. There were several full SWAT teams there surrounding the house. Why the other 300 cops? Why the helicopter buzzing the neighborhood for 10 hours? How many Police and fire personnel were on the scene? Why did they bring in 300 cops from as far away from Chula Vista? What was the total responding personnel and what was the total cost? Who is picking up the cost for the operation? City or County? Did other City's PD chiefs volunteer to send their cops in to "stand guard"? Well Done- If you like a complete waste of taxpayers money. I think the City's have plenty of projects they'd like to get built and wasting $500,000 to $1,000,000 for flying and standing around all night doesn't accomplish anything. I think it was a huge overkill and someone should be held accountable. What were the costs?
Al Ein February 22, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Hear is my guestimate of the costs 1. Helicopter- 10 hours @ $1,000 per hour including pilots and others in bird- $10k 2. Cops- 300 @ $250/hr. including everything from cars/benefits and salary= $75,000 3. Unnecessary Disturbance to Encinitas- $10,000 (Many displaced residents and many sleepless people from helicopter buzzing all night= $10,000 4. Cost for other agencies to have no police services for that time all the officers were in encinitas= $50,000 Total cost between $145,000 to $200,000. In my opinion, someone went way overboard and cost the taxpayer big time.
Jay Berman February 22, 2013 at 04:28 PM
20 year old drug addict had weapons he seemed to be good at using, shot 2 cops ... they had to secure the area, takes bodies and equipment .. what if the doper just started firing away because he had nothing to lose ? Who are you to second guess ? You were not there in a possible line of fire ... the event ended, no one was killed except the doper ... this is what we pay taxes for ... you want to go after waste in Encinitas, let's start with a $5.5m pedestrian underpass at Swami's or a $5m fire station more than 3 times larger than the one it replaced ... the purchase of the Mossy property. prime realestate .. or $19M for a huge park on prime commercial property ... we can talk waste ....


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »