Columbus Day, a nationally recognized federal holiday, falls on Monday, Oct. 8 this year. While it is an opportunity for some to sleep in on a Monday, the holiday itself is also interesting, and a great time to celebrate and shop.
Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt is responsible for making the holiday a federal one in 1937.
What is closed on Columbus Day? Most banks, government offices and the U.S. Postal Service will be closed to observe the holiday.
The follow City of Carlsbad offices will be closed Monday, Oct. 8:
- City offices: Closed
- Emergency services: Regular service
- Trash pickup: Regular service, no delay
- Monroe Street Pool: Open 6 – 9:15 a.m., 10:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Libraries: Closed
- Community centers: Closed
- Senior Center: Closed
- Leo Carrillo Ranch: Closed
- Transit: For the holiday transit schedule, please visit gonctd.com or call 5-1-1
Tell us: What are your plans for Columbus Day? Shopping? Relaxation? Celebration?