Carlsbad city leaders marked the official start of construction Tuesday of , the City of Carlsbad’s newest park, which will include pools, ball fields, a skate park, a dog park, a new playground and other amenities that support a healthy outdoor lifestyle for Carlsbad residents.
The park is scheduled to open in late 2013.
“This park will truly provide something for everyone – whether you enjoy walking on scenic trails, playing team sports, meeting friends and neighbors at the playground or enjoying our great year-round climate at the new aquatics center,” said Chris Hazeltine, the city’s Parks & Recreation Department director. “Community input was instrumental in the park’s design, from the dog park, to the number and types of pools, and the design of the skate park.” The approved park design includes:
- A 56-meter “Olympic sized” competition pool with viewing bleachers
- A 25-yard, 12-lane swim instruction pool
- A 10 by 25 foot spa with jets
- A 22-foot diameter 6 inch deep kids pool
- A “spray-ground” play area for young children
- Three lighted softball/baseball fields
- One lighted full basketball court and one half court
- Picnic areas with barbecues
- Playground with 100 percent universally accessible play equipment
- An off-leash dog park divided into areas for larger and smaller dogs, including obstacle course-type play equipment
- A lighted skate park that will include a "street course" section, an area with challenging elements for more skilled skateboarders and a beginners’ area
The total budget for this phase of the park’s design and construction is $40 million. T.B. Penick & Sons is the general contractor. Kitchell is handling construction management and Wimmer, Yamada and Caughey is overseeing design compliance.
–City of Carlsbad