Students and teachers from eight high schools in San Diego and Orange counties with a strong interest in and knowledge of marine science will compete in the 17th annual La Jolla Grunion Bowl, the regional competition for the National Ocean Sciences Bowl (NOSB), at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla on March 8.
- Canyon Crest Academy – San Diego
- Carlsbad High School – Carlsbad
- Christian High School – El Cajon
- Dana Hills High School – Dana Hills
- Escondido Charter High School – Escondido
- La Jolla High School – La Jolla
- Scripps Ranch High School – San Diego
- University City High School – San Diego
Teams, consisting of four or five students, are tested through quick answer buzzer questions and thought-provoking team challenge questions.
Many “graduates” of the La Jolla Grunion Bowl have continued on to a myriad of STEM academic and career pursuits, as well as coming back to serve as volunteers for the competition. More than 50 percent of the La Jolla Grunion Bowl’s volunteers are Scripps Institution of Oceanography graduate students, faculty and/or staff.
The winning team of this regional bowl will compete against 21 other regional champions in the 17th Annual National Ocean Sciences Bowl at the University of Washington on May 1-4 in Seattle.
—Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institution of Oceanography