The Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Marathon & Half Marathon will take place this Jan. 27. If you want to watch, check out the spectator guide on the event website. If you want to avoid the traffic, please be aware of the following street closures from approximately 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. on race day:
- Marron Road between Monroe Street and Jefferson Street
- Monroe Street from Carlsbad Village Drive to Marron Road
- Jefferson Street between Marron Road and Laguna Drive
- Laguna Drive between Jefferson Street and State Street
- State Street between Laguna Drive and Carlsbad Boulevard
- Carlsbad Boulevard between the north city limits at Buena Vista Lagoon to the south city limits at La Costa Ave
- Avenida Encinas between Cannon Road and Palomar Airport Road
- Poinsettia Lane between Avenida Encinas and Carlsbad Boulevard
- Palomar Airport Road between I-5 and Carlsbad Boulevard
The following streets will be closed from approximately 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. on race day:
- Palomar Airport Road between I-5 and El Camino Real (eastbound lanes only)
- Camino Vida Roble between Palomar Oaks Way and Palomar Airport Road
- Palomar Oaks Way entirely
- I-5 at Palomar Airport Road both northbound and southbound and off-ramps and southbound on-ramp
The Carlsbad Police Department and volunteers will assist cars needing to get in or out of closed or partially closed areas, when safety allows. Those who need to get in or out of the race area during the event can do soon a nearby street not affected by race-day closures.
The Carlsbad Marathon begins and ends at the Westfield Plaza Camino Real shopping center. The race course runs from the mall to Carlsbad Boulevard and continues as far south as La Costa Avenue. The marathon also runs inland along Palomar Airport Road as far east as El Camino Real. The 26.2-mile marathon race starts at 6:15 a.m., and the half-marathon begins at 7:45 a.m.
The race weekend also includes a Health & Lifestyle Expo and Kids Marathon Mile at LEGOLAND. Geared for children age 12 and under, the Kids Marathon Mile at LEGOLAND is a one-mile, noncompetitive, age staged run/walk that winds through the LEGOLAND theme park, located at One LEGOLAND Drive in Carlsbad. A Diaper Dash, entertainment and other fun activities will take place on the main event stage immediately following the kids' races. The Kids Marathon Mile at LEGOLAND will be held on Saturday starting at 8 a.m.
The Health & Lifestyle Expo will feature exciting vendors, interactive displays, free samples, and bargains on apparel and equipment. Free and open to the public, the Expo is also where all marathoners and half marathoners pick up their timing tag, bib number and T-shirt. The Expo will be held on Friday (2 to 6 p.m.), Saturday (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and Sunday (7 a.m.to noon) under a big top tent at the Westfield Plaza Camino Real.
Visit the event's website at carlsbadmarathon.com for detailed route maps and additional information.
–City of Carlsbad